Scheme, 2011, a pencil drawing by Karl Haendel. Part of the solo exhibition Informal Family Blackmail at Susanne Vielmetter Projects, in Los Angeles. Opens Saturday at 6pm, in Culver City. (Image courtesy of the artist and Susanne Vielmetter.)
- Aspen: The Residue of Memory, a group show, and and Simon Denny: Full Participation, at the Aspen Art Museum. Through July 15.
- L.A.: Aakash Nihalani, Mark Jenkins and Yue Min at Carmichael Gallery. Opens Saturday at 6pm.
- Kansas City: Mathias Merkel Hess, William J. O’Brien and Arlene Shechet, SUM, at the Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art. Opens Friday at 6pm.
- Atlanta: Picturing the South, at the High Museum of Art. Opens Saturday.
- Miami: Ed Ruscha: On the Road, at the Museum of Contemporary Art. Opens Thursday, in North Miami. (Plus, a profile of the artist — and his taste for Jack Kerouac — in Ocean Drive.)
- Miami: Transcultural Pilgrim: Three Decades of Work by José Bedía, at the Miami Art Musem. Opens Thursday, in downtown.
- Plus: Get all my latest New York picks on Gallerina…