Entrada, enamel paint on found objects, by Max ‘RIPO’ Rippon. From the artist’s solo exhibit Signs, Fines & Cheap Wines, at White Walls, through September 1. (Image courtesy of the artist and White Walls.)
- L.A.: Alison Saar, STILL…, at the Ben Maltz Gallery at Otis. Opens Saturday, on the west side. There will be an artist’s reception on September 15 at 4pm.
- L.A.: Abel Alejandre, La Junta/The Gathering, at Coagula Curatorial. Through September 2.
- S.F.: Jacqueline Kiyomi Gordon, No Touch, at Eli Ridgway. Opens Friday.
- NYC: Projects 98: Slavs and Tartars, at the Museum of Modern Art. Opens today, in Midtown.
- NYC: An artist sandcastle competition organized by Creative Time. This Friday at 3pm in the Rockaways. Hells Yeah!
- Triple Canopy has a fantabulous essay about International Art English (IAE) — aka artspeak — tracking down its origins to the journal October, known for featuring translations and transliterations of dense, French poststructuralist texts. Artspeak, therefore, is English that is trying to sounds like badly translated French. (ArtInfo.)
- Related: Great discoveries I made while reading the Triple Canopy essay: John Russell’s corrected gallery press releases. Overuse of opposites is one of my favorite artspeak tropes.
- Connected, but not: Several short sentences about writing.
- Kriston Capps on the Hirshhorn’s spectacle strategy.
An image by Ripo. His solo show Don’t Get Me Wrong, opens at Galería Cosmo in Barcelona, this Friday at 8pm. (Image courtesy of Ripo.)
- Seattle: Carolina Silva, Against Gravity (or the Oddity of the Flooded Land), at Lawrimore Project, through Jan. 29.
- L.A.: Classic Photographs Los Angeles, at the Helms Daylight Studio, in Culver City, this Saturday and Sunday only.
- L.A.: Fierce, a one-night exhibit featuring Anthony Lister, at THIS Los Angeles, this Friday at 7pm.
- Stanford, Calif.: Art Censorship Issues, A screening of David Wojnarowicz’s Fire in My Belly’ and panel discussion, which will include artist Enrique Chagoya (who recently had a piece of his smashed in Colorado), at Annenberg Auditorium at Stanford, this Wednesday, at 5pm.
- Chicago: Nicholas Knight, Declaimed, at 65Grand, this Friday at 7pm.
- NYC: Maximum Perception, a performance festival, at English Kills, this Friday and Saturday, 7pm-midnight.
- NYC: Trespass, a group show, at Pandemic Gallery in Williamsburg, opens this Saturday at 7pm.
- NYC: Piotr Uklálnski, Discharge!, at Gagosian Gallery, on Madison Avenue, opens Wednesday.
- NYC: Imeday Imeday Ollarday Icklenay, at Allegra LaViola, next public performance this Wednesday at 6pm.
- NYC: R. Luke Dubois: A More Perfect Union, at Bitforms, opens Thursday at 6:30pm.
- NYC: Ray K. Metzer, at Laurence Miller Gallery, through Feb. 26.
- NYC: Deborah Brown, The Bushwick Paintings, at Lesley Heller Workspace, opens Wednesday.